Wednesday, March 28, 2007

In which she learns that taking photos of lighting is rather difficult

Wow it's been quite awhile since my last blog post. Most of my spare energy has been directed towards organising my next print run of fabric, which will hopefully be finished by the end of next week or the week after - my printer is really busy at the moment, which is a shame.

I've also been trying to come up with some new pattern designs but haven't been happy with the result. Maybe I've subconciously moved the bar up too high due to recent successes. I want my next pair of printed fabric designs to be just perfect. The right mix of unique + fun + nature-ee + modern + retro-ee :)

A few people have asked me recently if it's okay for them to use my fabric to make things which they then on-sell. My answer is simple - definately! In my mind that's the ideal use for it. I'd love to see my fabric made into real things that can then be sold on to happy customers. I'd make things with it myself if I had a more reliable sewing machine. That said, the first thing I did when I received my fabric was make it into some lampshades. The yellow works particuarly well as a lampshade because the colour isn't too strong and provides just the right amount of contrast when the lamp is on:





Take care and thanks again for all the support and very lovely comments!

22 comments:

lupinbunny said...

ooo... i wish i'd got some of that fabric. actually, if you turned the crafty bits print into fabric i think i'd have to buy the roll.

leslie said...

loving the lampshades! you are brilliant!

Unknown said...

oh...great use for it! lovely! and yes...very very hard to photograph lighting! ;) i still haven't figured it out!!

Anna said...

Oooh they are very cute! I agree with lupinbunny that crafty bits as a fabric would be awesome!! I'd be sold on that one! I have been very very tempted to do a fashion illustration using that print (but I think it might be a good idea to ask you first..)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!

Looking forward to making lampshades as soon as the fabric has reached Amsterdam...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I love your fabric. Where did you get it printed? The lampshades look fantastic. I only recently discovered your blog and you've got some cool stuff. I covered a lampshade recently, but I don't know quite what to do with the attaching the fabric at the top and bottom - it's more of a conical shape so it's not just a matter of pushing it over and gluing it :-( Did you use bias binding?

Becky O. said...

I have just stumbled across your lovely designs and I can't wait to get my hands on some fabric!
I think the lamshade idea is great and your patterns also make me think I might make a room divider screen so I can see it/use it all the time.

Jesse said...

Lovely to see the fabric made up into something - it really works well.

Nellie Mae Beads said...

Hi Lara,I received my fabric today..It's FABULOUS! As soon as I get time some cushions will be born!
Thanks so much, looking forward to the next print run and hopefully that new colour!

Anonymous said...

ooh, lovely to see the fabrics applied in this way!

Jo said...

It must be great to turn your light thinking, my fabric, my design. Well done! I love the fabric by the way.

Jason said...

Those lampshades look cool. Have you thought about trying to sell them in stores...?

patricia zapata said...

your lamps look so lovely! great application.

Emily said...

I love the bottom one - just beautiful!

Stereoette said...

mine came! mine came! and its more than i imagined... I do wish i'd bought two so I could make shirt, but live and learn...

Anonymous said...

Oh good! I'm so glad. Please print lots so we can all get some!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely lovely! I regret that I didn't check in earlier for those fabrics and they're now all gone!*sniff* And the prints are the ones that I hoped that would be printed too... *sniff*

hmc said...

Wow, I'd love to be able to make stuff out of my own print designs (read: future print designs ;o)) - you must feel very proud! Thanks for the info as well - I will call them some time in the future!

Kristin Loganbill said...

amazingly beautiful!

Kylie said...

Your fabric is just gorgeous. I would love to know how to make lampshades though? I was given some big, old terracotta lamps which i've painted up with a rough sandstone finish, but I have yet to find shades big enough to fit them anywhere. I have the original shades which are a bit marked... is it just a matter of recovering the wire frames?

Anonymous said...

Your fabrics are so lovely as well as the wonderful lamps! I hope you do a reprint of all the colors so I can be one of the lucky recipients!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.